Permissibility of Celebrating Mawlid from Qur’an al-Karim and Ahadith
All Praises is due to Almighty Allah SubHanahu wa Ta’ala, Peace and Blessings be upon the most perfect of creations, His Beloved Habeeb, Sayyiduna Rasoolullah SallAllaho Alaihi wa Sallam his Noble Family and the Illustrious Sahaba Riwanullahi Ta’ala Alaihim Ajma’een and all the pious servants of Almighty Allah SubHanuhu wa Ta’ala.
The Holy Qur’an Says:
قَالَ عِيسَى ابْنُ مَرْيَمَ اللَّهُمَّ رَبَّنَا أَنزِلْ عَلَيْنَا مَآئِدَةً مِّنَ السَّمَاءِ تَكُونُ لَنَا عِيداً لِّأَوَّلِنَا وَآخِرِنَا وَآيَةً مِّنكَ وَارْزُقْنَا وَأَنتَ خَيْرُ الرَّازِقِينَ Issa son of Maryam submitted, ‘O Allah our Lord, ‘send down to us a tray of food from the heaven so that it may be an occasion of rejoicing for us, for the first and the last of us and a sign from You, and provide for us and you are the best of Providers. [Surah Al-Ma’idah, Verse 114]. The day when food is sent from skies is day of rejoicing (EID); then the day when soul of universe Peace be with him was born must be the delight for the day of rejoicing. Look what Allah has said:
وَأَمَّا بِنِعْمَةِ رَبِّكَ فَحَدِّثْ And publicize well the favors of your Lord. [Surah Al-Duha, Verse 11]. Allah himself commemorating Milad in Holy Qar’an as we do in our gatherings, Allah SubHanuhu wa Ta’ala Says in the Holy Qur’an:
هُوَ الَّذِي أَرْسَلَ رَسُولَهُ بِالْهُدَى وَدِينِ الْحَقِّ لِيُظْهِرَهُ عَلَى الدِّينِ كُلِّهِ وَكَفَى بِاللَّهِ شَهِيدًا It is He Who has sent His Messenger with guidance and the religion of truth that he may make it prevail over all other religions And Sufficient is Allah SubHanuhu wa Ta as witness. [Surah Al-Fatha, Verse 28] وَإِذْ قَالَ عِيسَى ابْنُ مَرْيَمَ يَا بَنِي إِسْرَائِيلَ إِنِّي رَسُولُ اللَّهِ إِلَيْكُم مُّصَدِّقًا لِّمَا بَيْنَ يَدَيَّ مِنَ التَّوْرَاةِ وَمُبَشِّرًا بِرَسُولٍ يَأْتِي مِن بَعْدِي اسْمُهُ أَحْمَدُ فَلَمَّا جَاءَهُم بِالْبَيِّنَاتِ قَالُوا هَذَا سِحْرٌ مُّبِينٌ And remember when Issa son of Maryam, said, ‘O children of Israel, I am Allah SubHanuhu wa Ta’s Messenger to you, confirming the previous Book Tourat before me and conveying the glad news of the Messenger who will come after me, his name is Ahmad! ‘ But when Ahmed came to them with bright signs, they said, ‘this is an open magic.’ [Surah As-Saf, Verse 6]
[Surah As-Saf, Verse 6] لَقَدْ جَاءَكُمْ رَسُولٌ مِّنْ أَنفُسِكُمْ عَزِيزٌ عَلَيْهِ مَا عَنِتُّمْ حَرِيصٌ عَلَيْكُم بِالْمُؤْمِنِينَ رَؤُوفٌ رَّحِيمٌ Assuredly there has come to you a messenger from among yourselves, heavy upon him is your suffering; ardently desirous of your welfare, and to Muslims is most Kind and Merciful. [Surah Tauba, Verse 128] لَقَدْ مَنَّ اللّهُ عَلَى الْمُؤمِنِينَ إِذْ بَعَثَ فِيهِمْ رَسُولاً مِّنْ أَنفُسِهِمْ يَتْلُواْ عَلَيْهِمْ آيَاتِهِ وَيُزَكِّيهِمْ وَيُعَلِّمُهُمُ الْكِتَابَ وَالْحِكْمَةَ وَإِن كَانُواْ مِن قَبْلُ لَفِي ضَلَالٍ مُّبِينٍ Undoubtedly, Allah SubHanuhu wa Ta did a great favor to the Muslims that in them from among themselves sent a Messenger who recites unto them His signs and purifies them and teaches them the Book and wisdom, and necessarily before that they were certainly in apparent error. [Surah Aal-e-Imran, Verse 164] يَا أَيُّهَا النَّاسُ قَدْ جَاءَتْكُم مَّوْعِظَةٌ مِّن رَّبِّكُمْ وَشِفَاءٌ لِّمَا فِي الصُّدُورِ وَهُدًى وَرَحْمَةٌ لِّلْمُؤْمِنِينَ ۔۔۔ قُلْ بِفَضْلِ اللّهِ وَبِرَحْمَتِهِ فَبِذَلِكَ فَلْيَفْرَحُواْ هُوَ خَيْرٌ مِّمَّا يَجْمَعُونَ O people! There has come an admonition to you from your Lord, and healing of hearts, and guidance and a mercy for the believers. Say you, ‘only Allah SubHanuhu wa Ta’ grace and only His mercy, on it therefore let them rejoice. That is better than all their wealth. [Surah Al-Yunus, Verse 57/58]
And this is what we do, we celebrate; we rejoice; we do spend our money to show gratitude to Allah Almighty on his greatest mercy and Blessing i.e. celebrations of Milad-un-Nabi because Qur’an Says: وَمَا أَرْسَلْنَاكَ إِلَّا رَحْمَةً لِّلْعَالَمِينَ And We sent not you, but a mercy for all worlds. [Surah Al-Anbiya, Verse 107
SEE IN THE LIGHT OF AHADITH ::..
Let us have the opinions of Prophet (Peace be with him) who himself celebrated his Birthday. See Muslim Sharif:
عَنْ أَبِى قَتَادَةَ الأَنْصَارِىِّ رضى الله عنه أَنَّ رَسُولَ اللَّهِ -صلى الله عليه وسلم- سُئِلَ عَنْ صَوْمِ الاِثْنَيْنِ فَقَالَ « فِيهِ وُلِدْتُ وَفِيهِ أُنْزِلَ عَلَىَّ Abi Qatada Ansari (Allah SubHanuhu wa Ta be pleased with him) reported that Allah SubHanuhu wa Ta’s Messenger (may Peace and Blessings of Allah SubHanuhu wa Ta be Upon Him) was asked about fasting on Monday, whereupon he said: It is (the day) when I was born and revelation was sent down to me.References:1. Sahih Muslim, Book 6 – Fasting, Vol. 7, Page 323, Hadith 28072. Asad al-Gaba fi Ma’arfat as-Sahaba, Vol. 1, Page 21-22, published in Lahore 19873. Sunan al-Kubra lil Bayhaqi, Vol. 4, Page 2864. Musannaf Abd ar-Razzak, Vol. 4, Page 296, Hadith78655. Sunan Abi Dawood, Vol. 7, Page 255, Hadith 24286. Musnad Ahmad, Vol. 49, Page 195, Hadith 23200.
When beloved Prophet (Peace and Blessings be Upon him) is celebrating his birthday not yearly but every Monday then how it can be labeled as Shirk or Bid’at? Beloved Prophet Muhammad SallAllaho Alaihi wa Sallam himself commemorated about his birth in numerous Ahadith. Few of them are presented below:
ورأت أمي حين حملت بى أنه خرج منها نور أضاء له قصور بصرى من أرض الشام Holy Prophet (Peace and Blessings of Allah be Upon Him) said: “When my mother gave birth to me she saw a light proceeding from her which showed her the castles of Syria” References:1. Ibn Hisham; Tafsir Ibn Kathir 4:3602. Bayhaqi, Dala’il an-Nubuwwa 1:1103. Haythami, Zawa’id 8:2214. Ibn al-Jawzi ‘al-Wafa’5. Qadi Iyad, ‘al-Shifa’6. Musnad Ahmad 4:127أ ل ما خلق الله تعالى نوري The Holy Prophet Muhammad (SallAllahu Alaihi wa Sallam) has stated, “The very first thing which Almighty Allah SubHanuhu wa Ta’ala created was my Noor.” References:1. Tafseer Nashyapuri, Page 55, Vol. 82. Tafseer Araa’is ul Bayaan, Page 238, Vol. 13.
Tafseer Roohul Bayaan, Page 54 Sharih al-Bukhari Imam Ahmad Qastalani (Radi Allahu Ta’ala Anhu) states in his most distinguished work “Muwahib al ladaniyah” that narration has been made by Hadrat Imam Zainul Abedeen (Radi Allahu Ta’ala Anhu) who narrates from His father Hadrat Imam Husain (Radi Allahu Ta’ala Anhu) who narrates from His father Hadrat Ali Mushkil Kusha (Radi Allahu Ta’ala Anhu) that the Holy prophet (SallAllahu Alaihi wa Sallam) has stated, كنت نورا بين يدى ربى قبل خلق آدم باربعة عشر ألف عام “I was a Noor (Light) by my creator 14000 years before the creation of Hadrat Adam (AlaihisSalaam)” References:1. Muwahib al-Laduniyah, Page 10, Vol. 12. Zirkani ala al-Mawahib, Page 49, Vol. 13. Jawahir al-Bihar, Page 7744. Anwaar al-Muhammadiya, Page 95. Tafseer Rooh al-Bayan, Page 370, Vol. 26. Hujjatullahi Ala al-Alameen from the second, the Kursi (Divine Chair) and from the third, He created the Angels. He again divided the remaining parts into a further four parts. From one, He created the skies. The second was used in creating the planets. From the third, Heaven and Earth were created. Once again, He divided the fourth part into a further four parts. From one part He created the power with which the believers see. From the second, He created in the hearts of the Believers the Noor of Marifat. From the third, He created Noor in the tongues of the Believers, so that they can read the Kalima of Tauheed. References:1. Muwahib al-Ladunniyah, Page 9, Vol. 12. Zirkani Shareef, Page 46, Vol. 13. Seerate al-Halabia, Page 37, Vol. 14. Mutali ul Musarraat Sharah Dalail Khayrat, Page 6105. Afdal al-Qura by Imam Ibn Hajr Makki6. Hujatullahu ala al-Alameen, Page 687. Anwaar al-Muhammadiya, Page 98. Aqidat ash-Shuhada, Page 1009. Fatawa Hadithia, Page 5110. Dalaa’il an-Nubuwwah By Imam Baihaqi11. Khamees by Allama Dayar Bakri12. Madarij an-Nabuwwat by Skaykh Abdul Haq Muhaddith Dehlvi
The Beloved Messenger (peace upon him) was born in the First Spring (Rabi ul Awwal). The wisdom behind his birth in this month can be understood when we analyse Spring itself. With the Arrival of Spring, we find that it breathes new life into everything following the the gloomy look left by autumn.
Autumn here signifies the state of imaan, and the decline of polytheism.
Spring signifies the revival of Imaan and the new Era for monotheism in the form of Islam…
The Beloved Messengers Birth (peace be upon him) was placed in this month, as his arrival surely was the Spring of All Springs.
REGARDING THE BLESSED HAIR OF THE MESSENGER (peace be upon him).
The Best way to understand this is to understand how is it that people have the Blessed hair in their possession…
Hazrath Anas (may Allah be pleased with him) states, “I saw the Messenger (peace be upon him) getting his hair shaved, and the companions are placing their hands so that his blessed hair does not touch the ground” (Sahih Muslim.Vol.2, Shifa, Vol.2)
The companions had a tremendous respect for his Blessed hair. So why did they possess this great respect and honour? The qur’an has demonstrated in many occassions that simple and ordinary objects become extraordinary when they are linked to someone or something which is loved by Allah.
The water of ZamZam is the longest flowing spring / well in the history of mankind. This is due to thee fact that the very first drops had touched the body of Nabi Ismaeel (alayhis salaam). Similarly, Muslims are commanded in Surah Al-Baqarah to perform salaah at the Hajr e Aswad. It was just an ordinary stone, but once the Blessed feet of Nabi Ebrahim was placed on it, and his footprint was imprinted on it, it became extraordinary, to the extent that Muslims from all over the world pay their respect to this Symbol of Allah.
WHY DO MUSLIMS TODAY POUR WATER OVER IT (THE HAIR) AND THEN DRINK?
Ummol Mu’mineen, Hazrath Umme Salamah used to keep the Blessed Hair of Rasoolullah (sallallahu alayhi wa sallam) in her possession. When anyone was ill, they would come to her and she would pour water on it, then ask them to drink it. (Mishkaath Shareef, with refrence to Sahih Al-bukhari).
Hazrath Khaalid Bin Waleed once during a fierce encounter with a kaafir , dropped his Turban. Instead of defending his life, he was defending the Turban. After killing the Kaafir, he was asked about his action. He replied by saying that he was not defending the Turban, but that which was embedded within it…and that was a few strands of the Blessed Hair (baal mubaarak). (Omdatul Qaari, which is a commentary of Sahih Al Bukhari, Shifa Shareef).
Hazrath Seereen mentioned to Hazrath Ubaidah , that he had received the Baal Mubarak from Hazrath Anas (may Allah Be pleased with them), and that he loved it more than the world, and all things within it (Sahih Bukhari, Vol.1).
Also, with regards to the distribution of the Baal Mubarak (Blessed Hair)
Hazrath Anas mentions that during hajj, The Messenger stoned the Jamarah, then Shaved his Hair, from the right side,and then the left, and called for Hazrath Abu Talhah, and gave it to him, thereafter He said, “distribute it to the people” (Sahih Muslim, Vol.1, Mishkaat). The Summary of this hadith can also b found in Sahih Al-Bukhari, Vol.1
CELEBRATING MEELAD NABI
History of Celebrating Mawlid an-Nabawi Sharif
1. Hadrat Allama Mulla Ali Qari narrating the routine of the people of Madina Munawwarah writes,“The people of Madina Munawwarah (May ALLLAH have Mercy on them) used to arrange and attend mawlid gatherings with great enthusiasm and sincerity on the occasion of Mawlid Sharif.” [Mawrid ar-Rawi Fi Mawlid an-Nabawi, Page 29]
2. Ibn Jauzi says:”People of Haramain Shareefain (Makkah and Madinah) and Egypt and Yemen and Syria and of the eastern and western cities of Arabia hold functions in celebration of the birth of the Prophet (SallAllahu Alaihi wa Sallam), they rejoice at the sighting of the moon of Rabi al-Awwal, bathe and put on their best dresses adorn themselves in various ways, put on scent, and give alms with great joy, and exert themselves in listening to the Mawlid of the Prophet (SallAllahu Alaihi wa Sallam).
By doing so, they themselves attain to success, as it has been proved that by celebrating the Mawlid of the Prophet (SallAllahu Alaihi wa Sallam) much good accrues the whole year round, security and comfort, greater means of livelihood, increase in children and in wealth, peace in cities and contentment and peace in homes.
“References:1. Tafsir Ruh al-Bayan by Allama Ismail Hiqqi, Vol. 9, Page 562. Milad al-Uroos – Urdu “Bayan-e-Milad-un-Nabi”, Page 34/35, Published in Lahore.
3. Ad-Durr al-Munazzam, Page 100/1014. Al-Milad an-Nabawi, Page 5. Gatherings of Mawlid an-Nabi SallAllaho Alaihi wa Sallam was switched to Prose in 3rd/4th Hijri then 700 years back from today, A pious and virtuous person named Umer bin Mullah Muhammad Mousli Alaihir Rahma established it on regular basis. Following him the great commander Sultan Salahuddin Ayyubi’s dearly loved Sultan Arbal Malik Abu Saeed Muzaffar al-Din celebrated Mawlid an-Nabi officially. Ibn-e-Khalqaan Arabali Sha’fai was eyewitness of that festival.
4. According to “Tarikh-e-Mar’at az-Zaman” billion of rupees were used to spend on those festivities. In the beginning of 7th Century of Hijri Calendar; Great Scholar named Abul Khattab Umer Bin Hasan dah’hia Qalbi Andalusi Balansi wrote a book on the topic Milad an-Nabi SallAllaho Alaihi wa Sallam named “At-Tanveer Fi Mawlid as-Siraj al-Muneer”. In 1207, He went to Sultan Arbal’s castle and presented his book on Mawlid to him, for which he was awarded thousand Gold Coins from Sultan. This was the status and respect of Mawlid Shareef in hearts of earlier leaders of Islam.
Not only Sultan Arbal, King of Egypt celebrated the Mawlid Shareef; Allama Ibne Juzri Alaihir RaHma is one the eyewitnesses. For the celebration of this festival 1000 Mithqal of Gold was spent on it. Sultan Abu Hamu Musa Talamsani and earlier rulers of Aqsa and Andalus used to Celebrate Mawlid an-Nabi SallAllaho Alaihi wa Sallam. Abdullah Tonsi Summa Talamsani has written the details of these festivals in his book “Raah al-Arwah”. References: 1. Subl al-Huda wa ar-Rishaad Fi Seerah Khair al-Ibaad by Muhammad Bin Ali Yusuf Damishqi. 2. Ad-Durr al-Munazzam Fee Hukmi Mawlidin Nabi Sallalahu Alaihi Wasallam. 3. Wafyat al-Da’yaan Anba’a Abna az-Zaman, Published in Cairo. 4. Allama Muhammad Raza Misri’s Muhammadur Rasoolullah SallAllaho Alaihi wa Sallam, Published in Lahore, Page 33. 5. Ahsan al-Maqsad Fee Amilil Mawlid. 6. Anwar as-Sati’aa (1307 H), Pg 261, Published from Murad Abadi.
5. It is stated in Seerah al-Halabiya that:Muslims have been celebrating gatherings of Mawlid Sharif in large cities for-long. [Seerah al-Halabiyah, Page 80].
6. Shaykh Yusuf bin Ismail an-Nabhani states: Dwellers of Makkah visits Birthplace of Prophet Peace be Upon him on the eve of Mawlid an-Nabawi every year and arrange enormous gatherings. [Jawahir al-BiHar, Page 122].
8. In “Fuyudh al-Haramain”, Shah Waliullah has pointed out,“The birth of the Prophet (SallAllahu Alaihi wa Sallam) was celebrated by the people of Makkah who received blessings on account of it.”
9. The Al-Qibla Newspaper of Makkah al-Mukarrama witnesses: On the eve of Mawlid an-Nabi SallAllaho Alaihi wa Sallam celebrations are observed in Makkah and dwellers of Makkah name this day as Youm al-Eid Mawlid ar-Rasoolullah SallAllaho Alaihi wa Sallam. People use to cook food. Ameer of Makkah and Commander of Hijaz with their army use to visit birthplace of Prophet Peace be Upon Him and recites Qasida there. Rows of shining candles are positioned from Haram al-Makki to Birthplace and Shops and Houses on the way are also decorated. People use to recite Qasaid whole day at Birthplace. On the night of 11th Rabi al-Awwal after Isha, Mawlid Gathering is organized. From Maghrib prayer of 11th Rabi al Awwal to Asar Prayer of 12th Rabi al Awwal, after every prayer Salutations of 21 tanks is presented. References: 1. Al-Qibla Paper – Makkah Mukarramah. 2. Monthly Tariqat – Lahore, January 1917, Page 2/3.
10. Encyclopedia of Islam verifies: On the Eve of Mawlid an-Nabi; whole Islamic world is observed to be delight and celebrating it. And it is celebrated till now with enthusiasm and integrity. [Encyclopedia of Islam, Vol. 21, Page 824, Published By: Punjab University, Lahore].
11. Ibn Jawzi in his book on Mawlid, says:In Haramayn (i.e. Makkah Mukarrama and Madina Munawwarah), in Egypt, Yemen rather all people of Arab world have been celebrating Mawlid for long. Upon sight of the moon in Rabi ul Awwal their happiness touches the limits and hence they make specific gatherings for Dhikr of Mawlid due to which they earn immense Ajr and Success. [Bayan al-Mawlid an-Nabwi, Page 58].
12. Shah Waliullah Dhelvi mentions one of his all time wonderful experiences as: I took part in a gathering of Mawlid inside Makkah where people were sending Darood and Salam upon Prophet (Peace be upon him) and commemorating the incidents which took place during the time of the blessed birth (before and after) and those which were witnessed before He was appointed as a Nabi (such as Noor eliminating from Bibi Amina Radi Allahu Ta’ala Anha, she seeing Noor, woman proposing to Sayyiduna Abdullah Radi Allahu Ta’ala Anho on sighting the Noor on his forehead etc…) suddenly I saw Noor to have enveloped one group of people, I don’t claim that I saw this with my bodily eyes, nor do I claim that it was spiritual and Allah knows the best regarding these two, however upon concentration on these Anwaar a reality opened upon me that these Anwaar are of those Angels who take part in such gatherings, I also saw Mercy to be descending along with Anwaar of Angels. [Fuyudh al-Haramayn, Pages 80/81].
13. Shaykh al-Islam Imam Ibn Hajr al Haytami (Rahimuhullah) writes: The gatherings of Mawlid and Adhkaar which take place during our time, they are mostly confined to good deeds, for example in them, Sadaqat are given, Dhikr is done, Darud and Salam is sent upon the Prophet (SallAllaho Alaihi wa Sallam) and he is praised. [Fatawa al-Hadithiyyah, Page 202].
14. The 7th-century historians Shaykh Abu al-Abbas al-Azafi and his son Abu al-Qasim al-Azafi wrote in their Kitab al-Durr al-Munazzam: pious pilgrims and prominent travelers testified that, on the day of the Mawlid Shareef in Makkah al-Mukarrama, no activities are undertaken, and nothing is sold or bought, except by the people who are busy visiting the noble birthplace, and rush to it. On this day the Holy Ka’abah is opened and visited.
15. The famous eighth-century historian, Ibn Battuta relates in his Rihla that: On every Jum’uah after the Salah and also on the birthday of the Beloved Prophet Alaihis Salat wa as-Salam, the door of the Holy Ka’abah is opened by the head of the Banu Shayba the doorkeepers of the Holy Ka’abah while on the Mawlid Shareef, the Shafi’i head judge of Makkah al-Mukarrama, Najm al-Din Muhammad ibn al-Imam Muhyi al-Din al-Tabari, distributed food to the descendants of the Beloved Prophet Alaihis Salat wa as-Salam and to the people of Makkah al-Mukarrama.
16. The historian Shaykh Ibn Zahira from his Jami al-Latif fi Fadli Makkata wa-Ahliha; Shaykh al-Haytami from his book al-Mawlid al-Sharif al-Muazzam; and the historian Shaykh al-Nahrawali from al-Ilmam bi-Alam Bayt Allah al-Haram says: Each year on the twelfth of Rabi al-Awwal Shareef, after Maghrib Salah, the four Qadhis of Makkah al-Mukarrma (representing the Four Sunni Schools) and large groups of people including the jurists and notables of Makkah al-Mukarrma, Shaykhayn, Zawiya teachers and students, magistrates and scholars, leave the Mosque and set out collectively for a visit to the Noble Birthplace of the Beloved Prophet Alaihes Salato Salaam, shouting out Dhikr and Tahlil. The houses on the route are illuminated with numerous lanterns and large candles, and a great many people are out and about. They all wear special clothes and they take their children with them. Inside the Noble Birthplace, a special sermon for the occasion of the birthday of the Beloved Prophet SallAllaho Alaihi wa Sallam is delivered. Hereafter the Dua’ for the (Ottoman) Sultan, the Ameer of Makkah al-Mukarrma, and the Shafi’i Qadhi is performed and all pray humbly. Shortly before the ‘Isha prayer, the whole party returns to the Great Mosque, which is almost overcrowded, and sit down in rows at the foot of Maqam Ibrahim. A similar description is given by Shaykh al-Diyar Bakri (d/960) in his Great Sirah entitled Ta’rikh al-Khamis fi Akhbari Anfasi Nafis.
This is more than enough proof that the Meelaadun Nabi is not something new… and (that it) was not invented or innovated in the indo-pak.
NB: This article has been sourced from the comments that Asmaa posted on the article titled Malawian Muslims Chased at Asian Muslims Milad -un-Nabee Feast by Bashir Amin.