The declaration that “There is no God Worthy of being worshipped except Allah & that Muhammad is the Messenger of Allah”, demands that the Muslim accepts the Decrees set by Allah and by His Messenger-Muhammad (p.b.u.h.)
Islam is a Revelation from Allah with a complete code of life. It tells what is good and what is evil: Allah says in the Holy Quran: And We have shown him (man) the two ways (good and evil). (Quran 90/10)
He allows them all that is good and lawful, and prohibits them as unlawful all that is evil (things, deeds, beliefs, persons, foods, drinks, etc.). (Quran 7/157)
So, is smoking (cigarettes, pipes, etc.) evil or not? Let us examine its effects:
* Smoking is a killer: causes lung-cancer, lung-tuberculosis and heart diseases.
Allah says: And do not kill yourselves. (Quran 4/29)
He also says: And do not throw yourselves into destruction. (Quran 2/195)
These verses are sufficient to make smoking Haram.
* Smoking is a wasting of wealth. Allah says: …But spend not wastefully (your wealth) in the manner of a spendthrift, Verily, spendthrifts are brothers of the devils, and the Devil (Satan) is ever ungrateful to his Lord. (Quran 17/26-27)
* The smoker is unjust to himself as well as his family by burning away his money and his chest!
* The smoker not only causes harm to himself, he/she also inflicts harms upon others around him/her.
The Prophet (p.b.u.h.) said: “There should be neither harming nor reciprocating harm.” (Saheeh Al-Jami 7517)
* The smokers cause the spread of evil; they smoke openly and thus encourage others to do the same.
* The smokers dislike fasting and praying because they become impatient. They want to go for the next “round”. The smoker becomes like an edict.
* The smoker smells bad! His car, home, clothes etc. carry the bad smell too.
From the above, it is clear that smoking is evil and thus it is Haram (unlawful).
If you are under any kind of stress, then turn to Allah, read the Holy Quran, and be with non-smokers. Seek Allah’s help and don’t be enslaved to something that burns you and your money.
And Allah knows best.