One of the major signs preceding the Day of Judgment as narrated by Prophet Muhammad (S.A.W) is the advent of Dajjal – the dark messiah (or Anti-Christ in Christian circles). He will rule the earth with an iron fist, slaying those who oppose his rule and rewarding handsomely those who follow him. In a Hadeeth compiled by Nawwas-b-Samaan/Muslim, it is narrated that Dajjal as he will be passing by a place in ruins, will order it to take out its hidden treasures. The earth will immediately take out its hidden treasure and the treasures will literally follow him wherever he goes like the bees following the queen bee.
It is reported that he will remain on the earth for a period of forty days, of which the first day will be as long as a year, the second day as long as a month, the third day as a week and the rest of the days will be normal as our days.
He will try to gain entry to Makkah and Madina but the angels guarding those holy sites will bar him from them. He will then flee to Syria where he will encounter a Muslim army led by Imam Mahdi and a Great War (War of Armageddon in Christianity) shall begin. A lot of Muslims will die in that battle and as the spirit of Muslims will begin to vanish, Isa (A.S) (Jesus the son of Mary) will be commanded by Allah to descend from the heavens. Isa (A.S) will then kill Dajjal at the Gate of Hudd.
It has been mentioned in many Ahaadith that Dajjal will appear from between the current Syria (Shaam) and Iraq but his presence will only be known at a place called Judea in Isfahaan. He shall be of a Jewish origin and his followers shall be Jews from Isfahaan who shall crown him as the (promised) Messiah. As he shall be moving from one place to another, Jews and a many non-Jewish women will flock to him to witness his false miracles.
However, before his emergence on earth, there is supposed to pass a period of drought, as narrated by Asma bint Yazeed who said that: “Rasulullah (S.A.W) once came to my house and there he spoke about Dajjal. He said that before the emergence of Dajjal there will be three spell of drought. In one year, the skies will withhold one third of its rains, causing the earth to withhold one third of its produce. In the second year the skies will withhold two third of its rains, causing the earth to withhold two third of its produce. In the third year, the skies will withhold all its water and there will be no crops that year. All animals, be they hooved or toothed, will die as a result. The greatest evil of Dajjal will be to approach anyone and ask him: ’If I bring your camel back to life, will you then believe that I am your Rabb?’ This person will reply, ‘Most certainly.’
Thereafter, Satan will appear before this person in the form of a camel with a fat hump and fully laden udders. Likewise, Dajjal will appear before another person whose father and brother have long passed away and ask him, ‘If I bring your father and brother back to life will you believe that I am your Rabb?’ This person will reply, ‘Why not?’ Satan will once again take on the appearance of his brother and father.” (Ahmad).
WHAT DID THE PROPHET SAY ABOUT DAJJAL?
The Prophet (S.A.W) explained in detail about Dajaal. In summary, this is what we learn from the many Ahaadith: –
- He will appear from between Syria and Iraq and his emergence will become known when he is in Isfahaan at a place called Judea.
- The Jews from Isfahaan and a great number of women will be his followers.
- He will have water and fire with him. As for that which people will see as water, in reality will be fire, for that which will burn and which people will see as fire in reality will be cold, sweet water.
- He will have paradise and hell with him. Those who obey him will enter his paradise and those who disobey him will enter his hell. Although his paradise will appear as Jannah, in reality it will be Hell, and likewise though his hell will appear like Jahannam, in reality it will be paradise.
- There will be a thick fingernail-like object in his left eye.
- On his forehead shall have letters “Kaa”, “Faa” and “Raa” inscribed there which shall easily be deciphered by every believer to mean “Kaafir” whether the believer is literate or not.
- He will travel in great speeds by means of a gigantic mule and will play music to attract music lovers.
- He will claim prophethood and later on divinity and will perform unusual miracles.
- He will travel throughout the earth, causing rains to fall and nutritious crops to grow for those who will believe in him and cause drought and starvation to those who will disbelieve him.
- The only means of survival for believers in those trying times shall be the recitation of Subhaanallah (Glory be to Allah) and Laailaha illa Llah (There is no other deity worth os worship but only Allah).
- The earth shall reveal its treasures which shall follow him wherever he will be going.
- He will be on earth for a period of forty days, of which the first day will be as long as a year, the second day as long as a month, the third day as a week and the rest of the days will be normal as our days.
- Makkah and Madina shall be forbidden for him to enter as Angels guarding those holy sites will stop him. He will nevertheless proceed to Syria where he will come face to face with a Muslim army led by Imam Mahdi and a Great War (War of Armageddon in Christianity) shall begin. A lot of Muslims will die in that battle and as the spirit of Muslims will begin to vanish, Isa (A.S) (Jesus the son of Mary) will be commanded by Allah to descend from the heavens. Isa (A.S) will then kill Dajjal at the Gate of Hudd at present day Lydda (Baad Lud).
PROTECTION FROM DAJJAL
Dajjal’s mission on earth will be that of deception. As mentioned in a Hadeeth by Imraan bin Husain (R.A) who narrated that Rasulullah (S.A.W) said: “Those who hear about Dajjal should stay away from him. By Allah! A person will approach him thinking himself to be a believer, but on seeing his amazing feats he will become his follower.” (Abu Dawood).
Rasulullah (S.A.W) is reported to have said, “Whoever memorises the first ten verses of Surah Kahf will be safe from the Dajjal’s fitna (tribulation).” (Abu Darda/Muslim).
In another Hadeeth, the Prophet (S.A.W) said, “Whoever meets the Dajjal amongst you then he should recite the opening verse of Surah Kahf onto him.” (Nawwas-b-Samaan/Muslim).
It is also recommended that we should also seek protection from Dajjal after every Salaat as reported by Aisha that “Rasulullah (S.A.W) would pray in Salaah, ‘Oh Allah protect me from the punishment of the grave and protect me from the fitna of Dajjal.” (Bukhari/Muslim).
It is therefore clear from the above that Day of Judgment cannot come on earth unless Dajjal’s mission is completed.
There are however now different interpretations of Dajjal emanating from the fact that most of the signs that Prophet Muhammad (S.A.W) foretold to precede the Day of Qiyama passed and some are still occurring. While some, as clearly explained in the many Ahaadeeth takes Dajjal as an individual, several people say that Dajjal is just a worldwide social, technological and cultural phenomenon while others say that Dajjal is just an unseen force represented by Jinns and UFOs.
People have even gone to the extent of calculating the forty days that Dajjal will appear on earth as that the first day went in 1979 at the end of Queen Victoria’s rule of Great Britain while the second day lapsed in 2000 when George Bush was sworn in as 43rd President of the United States of America.
This video here makes an interesting observation:
What matters however is that Dajjal is real and we must try as much as possible to stay away from him.
NB: Please click here for another important article about Dajaal, incase you missed.
Dajjal – The Dark Messiah by A Student of Darul Uloom, Bury, UK
Who is Dajjal? – islaam.org
Dajjal – The King Without Clothes by Ahmed Thomas
This is one of the best nattations islam can tell the world truth regarding end times. I hope non muslims have the opportunity to hear the other side of story apart from "so called signs" as per bible narration. Keep the fire burning as "jaa a lihaq wazahaq libatwila…"Jazakallah.
Thank you for posting this article. Is important that in times like this, when there are so many people giving themselves authority to tell the world of the date of the last day when no man knows of this great day but Allah alone. Is good to give the position of Islam on this issue because there are so many muslims out there who fall a prey to this misleading predictions. May Allah protect us from the evil trials of masihu-dajjal. Allahuma ameen.
The article is good and timely.It is my appeal however that Muslim scholars in Malawi should try as much as they can to interpret a lot of religious symbolism that occupies the this very pivotal but commonly avoided and misunderstood issue of Dajjal.
For example how should an average Muslim understand when we say when Dajjal is released will live for 40 days, one day like a year,one day like a month,one day like a week and the rest of his days like our days.
Continue the good job