Saudi Arabia’s ministers of Hajj and Health have assured the safety of pilgrims during Hajj 2020 – announcing guidelines including age restrictions, social distancing measures among others at a press conference held on Tuesday.
Saudi Hajj Minister Mohammad Benten said the plan for this year’s pilgrimage has been outlined with the Ministry of Health, in accordance with coronavirus precautionary measures.
Among the general guidelines announced during the press conference is limiting the pilgrimage to residents and citizens under 65 years old, as well as mandatory coronavirus testing and quarantine.
Saudi Health Minister Tawfiq Al-Rabiah said the ministry has prepared a hospital in case of emergencies during the pilgrimage.
“The number of pilgrims to be allowed to perform Hajj has not yet been finalized,” Benten said.
Earlier on Monday, the Saudi government announced Hajj will go ahead next month but with a “very limited” number of pilgrims allowed to take part.
The decision was taken due to the ongoing threat from the coronavirus pandemic and to preserve “global public health,” the Saudi Ministry of Hajj and Umrah said.
Pilgrims taking part will be from various nationalities who already reside in Saudi Arabia.
Source – Arab News